The Open Virtual Environment project (GPL v3) is a distributed emulation platform specifically designed to implement Distributed Virtual Environments (DVEs). The source code is organized as a framework that allows the reproduction and the distribution of any type of contents/states. As an example of the provided functionnalities, OVE allows in real-time to modelize all network exchanges, to visualize the messages and nodes descriptions, to navigate into the data distribution, and to plot measurements. This project is hosted at LIP6 under the responsability of Maha Abdallah and managed by Romain Cavagna and Maha Abdallah.
The multi-platform Open Virtual Environment project (GPL v3) uses 3 external libraries :
A beta release of this project can be downloaded on this page :
Please configure your screen with a 1920x1200 resolution or modify the following file
/config/OVE_Conf/OVE_SEmulation/local/SEmulator.conf according to your screen resolution. If you want to add or to remove peers in your test bed, please modity /config/OVE_Conf/OVE_SEmulation/local/Specimen.conf accordingly.
If you want to build the project, some required (and already compiled) libraries are available at :
The complete build tree including the current source code is available at the following svn repository:
Use CMake to generate the project into the /build directory. Until your projet is built into the /bin directory please use the following commands before running :
- OSG_LIBRARY_PATH=[your path to libraries]; export OSG_LIBRARY_PATH
- export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="[your path to libraries]"
- export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="[your path to libraries]"
To run the project, use the following commands after copying the required external libraries into /bin :
- ./OVE-Tool -pool [path to /config]/OVE_Conf/OVE_SEmulation/local/SEmulation.conf (to run the super peer)
- ./OVE-Tool -pool [path to /config]/OVE_Conf/OVE_SEmulation/local/Seed.conf (to run the seed)
- ./OVE-Tool -pool [path to /config]/OVE_Conf/OVE_SEmulation/local/Specimen.conf (to run the specimen)
A doxygen documentation is available at :
If interested, try to modify the configuration files into /config directory and if any questions, feel free to contact us !